Aphorisms from the Professor: Brillat-Savarin

Saturday, January 16, 2010

chicken fried steak

Tonight we tried a couple of new things:
1) we made chicken fried steak, because apparently cube steak, which we got from our CSA, is the most common cut of meat used to make this dish.
2) we used celery root for the first time.

For the chicken fried steak we roughly followed Alton Brown's recipe with the following changes: we added grated parmesean to the flour used for dredging the steak and we didn't use milk in the gravy. Interestingly, my boyfriend added a bouillon cube to the water in which we boiled the potatoes and celery root to make the chicken stock that ultimately made up the gravy. The gravy turned out really great, so I guess this was a good idea!
Overall we were both pleasantly surprised with how good the steak turned out. We will definitely make this again the next time we get cube steak. I also foresee more celery root in our future...


Chicken fried steak and gravy
Celery root & potato mash: celery root, potato, milk & wasabi mayo
Spinach sauteed with white wine

2 comments:

  1. Celery root is one of those vegetables on my "must try list" (along with sunchoke). I have to admit that the idea of breading and frying steak kind of scares me, but it does look like it turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph -- We tried sunchoke a couple of months ago, and it was wonderful. I am such a fan of unconventional tubers. I was also skeptical about breading & frying steak (when I saw Alton Brown do it on Good Eats I chalked it up to some southern craziness), but it really was good, and surprisingly not greasy.

    ReplyDelete