Aphorisms from the Professor: Brillat-Savarin

Friday, May 7, 2010

confession: i am addicted to caprese salads

I won't try and deny it and I am not ashamed: I am addicted to caprese salads, and things are only getting worse now that we grow our own basil. Given that I used to hate (and refused to eat) raw tomatoes, this may come as something of a shock. But I realized that what I used to dislike about tomatoes - the mushy, semi-liquidy interior - can be completely avoided by eating the smaller varieties of tomatoes (such as cherry or grape tomatoes), which I find also pack a bigger punch in terms of flavor. But regardless of your tomato of choice, the caprese salad is pure genius: tomato, mozzarella, olive oil and basil were just meant to be together. Okay, another confession: when I eat this salad I pay very close attention to what goes on my fork, because every bite MUST contain some of everything...that's not crazy, is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment