Aphorisms from the Professor: Brillat-Savarin

Sunday, October 10, 2010

pumpkin ravioli


Slowly but surely we are mastering our pasta maker. Of course, things were much easier tonight since we didn't have to bother with the noodle-cutting attachment, which is usually where we run into problems. But, my boyfriend (who was in charge of rolling out the dough while I formed the raviolis, we actually had a very efficient system going) did comment that my doughs are getting easier and easier to work with. So I'll just go ahead and pat myself on the back.



Pasta Dough
- sift 2 and 1/3 cup of pasta flour onto large work surface and make a well in the center
- pour 2 lightly beaten eggs into well
- add 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- gradually combine ingredients with a fork, adding warm water gradually until the dough comes together (total water = 2/3 cup)
- knead dough until you can form a soft manageable ball (approx. 10 minutes)
- cover dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour prior to use

Filling (what I made, which is why I can give you approximate amounts)
- 1 small roasted pumpkin & 1 roasted acorn squash
- approx. 7 oz ricotta cheese
- dash of nutmeg
- 4 cloves of garlic
- salt (to taste, 1/2-1 teaspoon)
- tablespoon of pumpkin butter

To form raviolis, roll dough out into sheets. On one sheet of dough, place dollops of filling (approx. 1 tablespoon) spaced 1 inch apart. Cover with second sheet of dough. Press down edges, cut out individual raviolis, trim excess dough, then press edges with fork.

Sauce (what my boyfriend made, and he is either incapable of estimating the quantities or he just refuses to)
- white cooking wine
- creamed honey
- butter
- sage
- ricotta
- dash of cinnamon

1 comment:

  1. Timely! I just figured out how to make pasta and I'm going to make a big ol' batch of this tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete