Aphorisms from the Professor: Brillat-Savarin

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

a random meal

My friend is in town visiting for New Year's, and it happens that she has a pasta machine herself and is very adept at making ravioli, something my boyfriend and I have not attempted except with wonton wrappers. We also had some leftover pasta dough in the freezer from our first pasta-making event a week or so ago, so this gave us an opportunity to use it. However, possibly because the dough had been frozen, rolling out the pasta dough proved to be more difficult than last time, with lots of air bubbles and weird stretch marks (for lack of a better term). I think we spent at least an hour making a grand total of 12 ravioli. Luckily my friend and I made a great team: I mastered rolling out the dough, and, being the perfectionist that she is, my friend fashioned the beautiful ravioli.


Ravioli filled with goat cheese and pesto, topped with vodka sauce, olive oil and grated parmesean










My boyfriend's contribution to the meal was to make home-made chicken soup. That's right, the stock was made from scratch, which is actually the easiest thing in the world to make, provided you have chicken bones and access to boiling water. I am feeling a bit under the weather, and chicken soup is clearly the best way to get me back to 100% for New Year's tomorrow night!

No comments:

Post a Comment