Aphorisms from the Professor: Brillat-Savarin

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

chilled cauliflower and potato soup

There is one thing that I will never understand about the south. Let me set the scene: it is 1950 and air conditioners haven't made their way into the average home, which is unfortunate because it is 100 degrees outside before taking humidity and "real feel" into account. You get home from work, sweating from every part of your body, and what's for dinner? Fried chicken!

Now don't get me wrong, there is a special place in my heart for fried chicken and other classic southern fare, but come summer I just don't understand it. It is seriously just shy of 100 degrees and so humid that if I close my eyes I could convince myself that I am in a tropical rainforest. Given that these are average summer conditions, how on earth did fried chicken become the standard southern dinner?!?!?! I cannot think of anything I would like to eat less in the weather we've been having, and I am taking refuge in my lovely air conditioned apartment!!

I had the idea for tonight's dinner because I got home and was so hot I didn't know what to do with myself and the idea of eating anything remotely hot...well, it wasn't an idea I wanted to entertain for very long.


Panko-crusted pan-fried meatballs

Chilled cauliflower and potato soup: cauliflower, red potato,vegetable broth, garlic, onion, a splash of cream and tons of dill

2 comments:

  1. I don't know how gets through the hot muggy days on the east coast. Many times I feel like you do. The potato soup looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to attempt cabbage rolls last night, only the thought of turning on the oven made me want to kill myself. It's weather like this that makes me only want to eat ice cream for dinner...

    ReplyDelete