Aphorisms from the Professor: Brillat-Savarin

Monday, October 4, 2010

simply prepared (with potato chips)

I think it is so interesting how tastes change as we grow up. There is a very long list of foods I didn't like as a kid that now I love. Some of them are probably common to everyone (e.g., brussel sprouts), but there were other foods I didn't like that everyone else did, and only now do I get it. I obviously have something specific in mind as I am writing this: salt and vinegar chips. I hate to think about all the time I wasted eating plain chips instead of salt and vinegar chips...it is time (and chips) I will never have back...

ANYWAYS, tonight's dinner was for the most part very simply prepared. But as always, there had to be one stroke of creativity. Tonight, that was the salt and vinegar chip crust on the salmon. This didn't hold up to cooking as well as we would have liked, but still, I have to applaud the idea.

Salt & Vinegar chip-crusted salmon with caramelized onions and sauteed yellow zucchini and bok choy. 

2 comments:

  1. Looks fabulous! I have to concur with the taste changing comment. When I was young, I used to drink sweet lagers, whereas now my favorites are more like Jever, Beck's, Fuerstenberg, Flensburger and such. Just to think I could have been drinking the good stuff all along... Incidentally, I also developed a taste for real bitter ales. And then there are all the island scotches. Where was I - the dinner with the S&V-crisp-crust looks great. Would go with a cold Flensburger me thinks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE salt & vinegar chips! And what a great idea to encrust salmon with them. This is naturally gluten-free, so I may have to try out the recipe and talk about it on my blog (citing you for the inspiration of course)...

    ReplyDelete