Aphorisms from the Professor: Brillat-Savarin

Thursday, September 9, 2010

tart queen?

For those of you long-term readers, you may have noticed that if my boyfriend hands the cooking over to me, chances are I'm going to make a tart (I remind you of my butternut squash tart mania last fall). Now that I've got a couple of techniques down, tarts are easily my favorite things to make - they are a great way to use up veggies we are getting tired of, melted cheese is always involved, and I'm a sucker for flaky crust that is perfectly browned. Oh, and let's not forget how amazing tarts make the kitchen smell while baking. I am so high off my recent string of successful tarts that I am even toying with the idea of making my own dough next time (*insert dramatic music here* - stay tuned!)

 At least while I'm sticking with store-bought crust, it's impossible to go wrong, and coming up with new combinations is simple:

1) pick a veggie (in this case, summer squash)
2) pick a cheese that goes with said veggie (in this case, goat cheese)
3) pick herbs that go with the veggie and cheese (in this case, sage and thyme)

For this tart I followed roughly the same method as my tomato tart earlier this week (and reiterated below).



Summer Squash & Goat Cheese Tart

- lightly butter pie pan and then put crust in pan and press down the bottom
- layer slices of squash, slightly overlapping, in concentric circles
- then add some thinly sliced red onion
- drizzle with olive oil
- add a generous amount of sage and thyme
- top with goat cheese and more herbs
- fold over edges of crust
- bake at 425 for 30 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment